- In Good Standing – Alabama Board of Medical Examiners – Alabama License in Medicine and Surgery
- 8/01 – Federal Drug Enforcement Administration – Alabama Controlled Substances
- 8/01 – Texas DPS – Controlled Substances
- 10/99 – Texas State Board of Medical Examiners, Texas
Education & Traning
- 8/02-8/03 – Retina Consultants of Alabama, Birmingham, AL Vitro-Retinal Surgery Fellowship, PGY-6
- 8/01-8/02 – National Retina Institute, Baltimore, MD – Vitro-Retinal Surgery Fellowship, PGY-5
- 8/98-8/01 – University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX – Ophthalmology Residency, PGY 2-4
- 8/97 – 8/98 -University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, TX – Internship in Internal Medicine, PGY- 1
- 8/92 – 8/97 – Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX – Doctor of Medicine and Clinical Bioethics Track
- 8/88 – 5/92 – Houston Baptist University, Houston, TX – Endowed Academic Scholar
- Faculty Teaching Appointment, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- 2002 Mann Ophthalmology Resident Award for Outstanding Research/Poster Presentation at the Vision 2001 UTMB Spring Meeting, Galveston, Texas, March 24, 2001
- Joseph E. Pryor Meritorious Scholarship for Medical Schools
- Benedict Meritorious Scholarship for Medical Schools
- Indian Doctors’ Club Student-of-the-Year Scholarship
- Honors in Baylor College of Medicine Clinical Bioethics Track
- Welch Research Foundation Grant Scholar
- Jesse Jones Scholar
- Endowed Academic Scholar
- Magna Cum Laude at Houston Baptist University
- Horizons Program for the Gifted and Talented
Membership in Professional Societies (Past & and Present)
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- International Society of Refractive Surgery
- Women in Ophthalmology
- American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin
- Indian Doctors’ Club of Houston Texas
- Indo-American Physicians’ Society
- American Medical Association
- Callahan Eye Foundation Hospital Retina Club
- ARVO-Association for Research in Vision & Ophthalmology
- Medical Association of the State of Alabama
Publications Featuring Articles by Dr. Patel
- Published Article – Somaiya MD, Mason III JO, White MF Jr., and Vail RS. “Macular Holes Associated with Diabetic Tractional Retinal Detachments”, Ophthalmic Surgery Lasers Imaging, 2008 July-Aug; 39 (4): 288-93.
- Published Abstract – Somaiya MD, Mason III JO, and White MF Jr. “Macular Holes Associated with Diabetic Tractional Retinal Detachments”, Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, 2003 ARVO E-Abstract # 3976.
- Presentation – Retina Consultants of Alabama (RCA) at the Callahan Eye Foundation Hospital (CEFH), University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB), poster presented at the ARVO meeting, Ft Lauderdale, FL, May 7, 2003.
- Presentation – Oral presentation at the American Society of Retina Specialists (ASRS) annual meeting in New York, NY, on August 17, 2003. Oral Presentation and poster presentation as teaching faculty for Eye Center South Continuing Education Seminar in Dothan, AL, on February 8, 2004.
- Published Article – Mason III JO, Somaiya MD, Singh RJ. “Intravetral Concentration and Clearance of Triamcinolone Acetonide in Nonvitrectomized Human Eyes”, Retina, 2004 Dec; 24 (6): 900-4.Manuscript also submitted for the to the Bausch and Lomb Retina Surgery Fellows’ Research Forum, Jan 31-Feb 2, 2003, Chicago, IL
- Published Article – Somaiya MD, Burns JD, Mintz R, Warren RE, Uchida T, Godley BF. “Factors Affecting Visual Outcomes Following Small-Incision Phacoemulsification in Diabetic Patients,” Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, 2002 August 28 (8): 1364-1371. Poster presentation at the Vision 2001 UTMB Spring Meeting, Galveston, TX, March 24, 2001 (recipient of Mann Ophthalmology Resident Research Award – aforementioned), Dept of Ophthalmology, Retina Service, University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB), poster presentation at the ARVO meeting, Fort Lauderdale, FL, May 3, 2001.
- Published Abstract – Somaiya MD and Glaser BM. “High-Speed Phi- motion ICG Characteristics and Feeder Vessel Treatment of Polypoidal Choroidal Vasculopathy in Age-Related Macular Degeneration” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, 2002 ARVO E-Abstract # 2509.
- Published Abstract – Somaiya, MD, Warren RE, Burns JD, Mintz R, Uchida T, Godley. “Factors Affecting Visual Outcomes Following Phacoemulsification in Diabetic Patients”.Invest. Ophthal. Vis. Sci. Suppl. 42: s695, 2001.
- Published Article – Coats DK, Avilla CW, Paysse EA, Springer DT, Steinkuller PG, Somaiya MD. “Early-Onset Refractive Accommodative Esotropia,” Journal of the American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus 1998 October 2 (5): 275-8, Dept. of Ophthalmology, Cullen Eye Institute, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas Children’s Hospital, Houston, USA.
Medical Seminar Speaking Engagements
- Eye Center South CME Seminar, Macular Holes Associated with Diabetic Tractional Retinal Detachments, Dothan, AL, February 8, 2004
- Toys for Tots Charity CME Seminar, Update on Age-Related Macular Degeneration, Vision America of Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, December 2006
- Birmingham Optometric Zone Meeting, Update on Age-Related Macular Degeneration, Gadsden, AL, March 18, 2007
- Birmingham Optometric Zone Meeting, Interesting Retina Cases Presentation, Birmingham, AL, May 30, 2007UAB School of Optometry, Update on Ocular Trauma, Birmingham, AL, August 18, 2007